U – Stone Terrace
Winston-Salem, Stone Terrace
1205 - 1800 heated square feet
- Habitat for Humanity of Forsyth County builds safe, healthy homes for families to purchase through an affordable 30-year mortgage with payments under 30% of their monthly income. While in the homeownership program, families save towards the downpayment on their home and complete 200-400 sweat equity hours earned by building on their home and attending finance, personal development, and home maintenance/repair classes.
- In the 36 years that Habitat for Humanity has been working in Forsyth County, they have served over 420 local families through homeownership and 130 through home repairs. In 2020 alone, 11 homes were built, and 13 home repairs were completed on owner-occupied homes, creating safer and healthier living environments for these families.
- Now home to two families who just recently purchased their homes, Stone Terrace will become home to over 70 families over the next few years. Construction on the first two homes is already underway in this development of workforce housing, which will be composed of homeowners who graduate from Habitat for Humanity of Forsyth County’s homeownership program and market rate homes for buyers at higher income levels. Research shows that this mixed-income strategy provides better outcomes in economic mobility.
- Habitat for Humanity of Forsyth County also engages underserved youth ages 12-17 in enrichment classes, speaker spotlights, and field trips with their Youth Empowerment Program.
- As a nonprofit, Habitat for Humanity of Forsyth County partners with local corporations, individuals, congregations, and community groups to improve the place local families call home.
- All homes built by Habitat Forsyth are built to the NC energy efficiency standard known as “System Vision.” This standard adopted by the State of NC is similar to Energy Star or LEEDS. All of Habitat’s homes that pass the post-construction independent energy audit are guaranteed that heating and Air Conditioning costs won’t exceed $55 per month for two years